Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Pho"

For the last couple of months or so it felt like I was deprived of one of my core food group in my diet. Yes for that long I was deprived of “pho”! It was ridiculous, I ended my fast today with a hearty bowl of Vietnamese (this time chicken) noodle soup, that was steamy hot and perfectly made. The reason for my pho fasting was not intentionally, it wasn’t until after eating pho had I realized I hadn’t eaten a bowl for a while. It started a month ago when I was craving it and massed text my friends to go get some shady pho at 3 in the morning. For reasons unknown to me, they rejected my offer. Time and time again I called and text and pouted and screamed and yelled but to no avail. Until finally my mom, of all people, asked me to go eat pho with her and that was how I ended my unintentional pho fast. But why do I, and also many other people like pho? The bowl of pho itself is akin to say a bowl of chicken noodle soup that mom makes for you when you were little on a cold night. Once again the closure of childhood strikes us in this cheap Vietnamese cuisine. Pho varies like steak in both price and quality. I for one love both a good deal and good quality. Some places I go to may seem shady and have a hole in the wall feel to it but it is the best you can get with that super stretched dollar. Yup, I’m talking about those 50% off pho places. At first there was a limited selection that was included in the deal, then it was everything but at a certain time in the day, but now it is all day and every day! It is heaven to the bargain hunters that want a fulfilling meal. Pho provides it all: cheap and filling food that you can sit down and enjoy with your friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment